20A- Growing Your Social Capital

Person #1-  Industry Expert

1.      I chose to reach out to a Lieutenant in Navy ROTC that is a surface warfare Navigator. He has driven ships in the Pacific for around 5 years.
2. This person fills the industry expert slot because they have experience using different radar systems and have interacted with engineers from the companies that manufacture them.
3.  I found this person because he works in the building in which I have multiple classes. It was as simple as dropping by his office.
4.  I just asked generally about how interested Pacific nations would be in having their own advanced missile defense radar systems and the opinions of the Department of Defense on providing the service currently for those nations. He explained how it is always a goal of the military to make regions in which they operate to become self-sufficient and capable of their own defense. The technology in programs like AEGIS used by the Navy is incredibly expensive he warned. He was happy to offer these comments and was interested in my idea.
5. This person was a good source of knowledge and would help me to understand many aspects of both the market and technology in which I would be planning to operate.

Person #2- Market Expert

1. This person is interestingly a golf course developer that works in countries like China, Japan, Thailand, and other Pacific nations that are potential customers. He is an American but lived in Asia for over a decade.
2. This person knows the market well and understand Asian business, decent knowledge of Asian politics, and also knows American business. It is nice to have someone that understands the persepctive of a global military super power like the United States as well as the perspective of a nation that may be nervous of North Korean threats because of their lack of defense capabilities. It would be nice to also talk to a native of one of those nations in the future.
3.  I still had the contact information for this person from when they lived in my neighborhood growing up.
4. This person described the business environment of Asia and how they viewed American military and also how they viewed North Korea. I learned that it differs incredibly from nation to nation and that I would need to focus on small nations because those like China are very advanced and more than capable of defending themselves. He was pleased to discuss his time overseas and felt that my idea had potential in the South Pacific particularly.
5. This person gave me an invaluable insight into my potential market and though an outsider himself he had far more knowledge of the culture than I had.

Person #3- Supplier

1. This interviewee was actually my grandmother, who has worked for Raytheon, a defense technology company, for over 30 years.
2. She fills the industry supplier position well because her company is one I would be directly contracting with for my idea.
3. I found this person because we are related and I have always been interested in her work.
4.  We discussed how Raytheon employs its weapons and its radar technology. According to her it would be possibly to get them to contract to a middle man that sold the use of the radar to other nations. The US military is currently its main customer and new markets are always being sought.
5.  Including her in my network gives me an 'in' with a major manufacturer of the supply I need to launch my idea into market. This is invaluable as an entrepreneur.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

29A- Venture Concept #2

30A- Final Reflection